I know most of you are happy with Firebase and must be wondering why do we need Firestore? In this blog, I will discuss Firebase vs Firestore and which to choose when.
Firebase vs Firestore
- Firebase is a real-time database.
- It’s a JSON Datastore.
- It is totally unstructured.
- Real-time databases are popular because of the awesome Client libraries.
- You can save JSON directly to the database without any modification.
- You can quickly fetch data using change Detection
- It bills you by connection count and amount of data transfer.
- Next-generation of the real-time database.
- It is a document collection database.
- It is structured data.
- Firestore has Client libraries just as Firebase
- It supports complex queries.
- It is completely scalable.
- Firestore does not worry about how complex your queries are or how many records are there in the collection.
- Firestore does not bill you by connected client count but bills by volume of Data transfer. It bills you by read, write, delete count.
Why do you still want to use a real-time database?
It boils down to several reasons.
- It may be cheaper for applications that have a lot of frequent updates
- It has been around for a long time, and has been tested by thousands of applications
- The delay time is longer. When you need a reliable low-latency real-time feel, a real-time database may work better.
For most new apps, we recommend that you check Cloud Firestore. However, if your application is already in the real-time database, I do not recommend that you switch only for the purpose of switching unless you have a good reason to do so.
Reasons to choose Cloud Firestore instead of real-time database
It is an improved version
The Firebase database is sufficient for basic applications. But its function is not enough to deal with complex requirements. This is the reason for the introduction of Cloud Firestore. These are some major changes.
- The basic file structure has been improved.
- Offline support for the web client.
- Support more advanced queries.
- Write and transaction operations are atomic.
- Reliability and performance improvement
- The zoom will be automatic.
- It will be safer.
In Cloud Firestore, the rate is reduced, even though it primarily charges for operations performed in the database, as well as bandwidth and storage. You can also set a daily spending limit. This is the complete details about billing.
Google’s future plans
When they discovered the flaws in the real-time database, they created another product instead of improving the old product. Even if there are no reliable details to reveal its current status on the real-time database, it is time to start thinking about the possibility of abandoning it.
Below are the common questions that are asked and are answered in the below video.
- Are the auto key in Cloud Firestore based on timestamp like it is in real-time db? If so, how can I query document data ordered by document key?
- Can I do text searching or Like queries with Cloud Firestore?
- Why did you make a new database instead of fixing the old real-time database?
Hope you like our blog. Please subscribe to our blog for receiving updates on email.